Every year, the SB Nation Soccer sites participate in a mock SuperDraft, and this year BW/the Rapids were able to get Andre Shinyashiki as the 15th overall pick. Do I think that could happen in the actual draft? Not likely, but you never know - Top Drawer Soccer projects that he will go 19th overall.
Center forward Andre Shinyashiki has been a standout at the University of Denver and Ives Galarcep calls him “one of the most highly sought after goal-scorers” in the entire draft. The one thing that could impact when he actually gets picked up is that Shinyashiki is Brazilian, so he’ll require an international spot.
Shinyashiki played with the Colorado Rapids U-23 PDL (now USL2) squad in 2017 and 2018, earning 18 goals in 26 appearances. In his senior year at DU, he tallied 28 goals in 21 matches (including five hat tricks), the most goals in NCAA Division I men’s soccer for 2018 and the most in a single NCAA soccer season in 20 years. He was a runner-up for the Hermann Trophy and Top Drawer Soccer’s National Player of the Year.
Shinyashiki also played alongside Kortne Ford and Sam Hamilton in DU’s record-setting 2016 season.
He is frequently praised for his finishing ability (obviously) but also his work rate and ability to out-hustle opponents. Whether or not he can jump in and do that in MLS is TBD, but the potential is definitely there. He could fit in well with Kei Kamara, Diego Rubio, and Niki Jackson.
The actual SuperDraft will take place in Chicago on Friday, January 11th at 1 p.m. EST.
Here are the full results from the mock draft:
1. FC Cincinnati – Tajon Buchanon
2. San Jose Earthquakes – Frankie Amaya
3. Orlando City – Callum Montgomery
4. FC Dallas – Siad Haji
5. Chicago Fire – Akeem Ward
6. Toronto FC – Dayne St. Clair
7. Minnesota United – Brad Dunwell
8. Houston Dynamo – Griffin Dorsey
9. New England Revolution – Sergio Rivas
10. FC Dallas – John Nelson
11. Revolution – Marcello Borges
12. LA Galaxy – Prosper Figbe
13. Philadelphia Union – JJ Williams
14. D.C. United – Logan Gdula
15. Colorado Rapids – Andre Shinyashiki
16. Los Angeles FC – Wouter Verstraaten
17. Real Salt Lake – DeJuan Jones
18. Columbus Crew – Ryan Sierakowski
19. New York City FC – Santiago Patiño
20. Seattle Sounders – Hassani Dotson
21. Sporting KC – Camden Riley
22. New York Red Bulls – Peter-Lee Vassell
23. Portland Timbers – Abdi Mohamed
24. Atlanta United – Rece Buckmaster