clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Game Recap: Portland Timbers 3, Colorado Rapids 2

It was a disappointing night in Commerce City.

MLS: Portland Timbers at Colorado Rapids Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

The Portland Timbers extended their winning streak to six, while the Colorado Rapids extended their losing streak to six tonight in Commerce City.

The Rapids started the first half disjointed and a bit reckless and head referee Sorin Stoica tried to set the tone by issuing Shkelzen Gashi a yellow card just three minutes in. There would be two more yellows in the first half: Danny Wilson in the 23rd minute and then Diego Valeri in the 38th minute for not backing off on a Colorado free kick.

The Timbers got on the scoreboard first in the 29th minute, with Samuel Armenteros taking advantage of a defensive breakdown and chipped Tim Howard. Two minutes later, the Rapids responded when Edgar Castillo crossed a ball in and while it was officially called an own goal, Dominique Badji was sliding in and likely would have scored.

A few minutes later, Armenteros snuck in behind the Colorado defense and got another goal to make the score 2-1 Portland heading into halftime.

In the second half, Anthony Hudson subbed in Axel Sjoberg and Yannick Boli for Wilson and Gashi. In the 56th minute, Sebastián Blanco headed up the pitch on a breakaway and passed the ball to Diego Valeri who put it past Howard and put his Timbers up 3-1.

Both teams had some chances, and Armenteros, who the Timbers recently acquired on loan from Serie A side Benevento Calcio, continued to look dangerous until he was subbed out for Fanando Adi in the 76th minute. Boli scored in the 88th minute off a through ball from Joe Mason, but after a video review, he was deemed offside and no goal.

In the 5th minute of stoppage time, Badji was fouled in the box and earned a penalty kick. Boli expertly chipped it over the keeper. Despite a Portland player being down for multiple minutes, the referee blew the game as soon as the goal was scored and it ended 3-2 Portland.