clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Game Recap: Colorado Rapids 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0

It was a long 90 minutes.

MLS: Colorado Rapids at San Jose Earthquakes Stan Szeto-USA TODAY Sports

The Colorado Rapids tied the San Jose Earthquakes 0-0 in Avaya Stadium today, earning a point on the road in their last away game of the season.

First Half

The Rapids didn’t get a great start in San Jose this afternoon. Deklan Wynne passed the ball to the opposition in front of goal within the first couple of minutes, and possession favored San Jose 76/24% for the first 15 minutes. The Rapids had one pass in the final third, compared to 33 for the other side. SJ got off a solid shot in the 13th minute, but Tim Howard was able to push it wide.

The Rapids started to even out the possession and spent more time on San Jose’s side of the pitch. Kellyn Acosta took a shot in the 33rd minute but it went right to James Marcinkowski, the SJ keeper.

Colorado’s first corner kick came in the 35th minute, and while the actual corner didn’t produce anything, the ‘Pids kept possession and Shkelzen Gashi got a shot off but it went slightly wide.

All in all, the first half was not very exciting. SJ had 11 total shots and 2 on target, while the Rapids had 4 shots total and 1 on target. Possession ended up evening out a bit.

Second Half

Sam Vines subbed in for Deklan Wynne to start the second half. Vines has played a significant amount of time this season for the Charlotte Independence and was called up this week with the other players that have been loaned to the USL. When he entered the game, it became the first time in club history that four Homegrown players were on the pitch at the same time.

The teams started opening up a bit in the second half, but it wasn’t any more exciting to watch. Niki Jackson came in for Gashi in the 62nd minute, Kortne Ford got a yellow card in the 77th minute, and then Giles Barnes subbed in for Cole Bassett in the 77th minute. Just before stoppage time, Jack Price got a decent shot but the keeper got a hand on it and tipped it over the crossbar.

After three minutes of stoppage time, it was finally over.