When I recently talked with Dylan Gannon, the Colorado Rapids’ Digital Content Coordinator, about their social media strategy, he told me that social media “is the connection from the players/teams/Front Office to the fans.” I can’t think of a better example of this than the players’ and the team’s own Instagram feeds, so here are 10 things that I’ve learned about the Rapids from Instagram.
Link to your favorite pics in the comments!
1. Pablo Mastroeni doesn’t age.
2. Marco Pappa recently got a French Bulldog puppy named Lucca and he’s ADORABLE.
3. Marc Burch makes cornhole boards (And I really want one, so if you read this Marc, can we make this happen?).
4. Shkëlzen Gashi can rock a suit and tie.
5. John Berner’s got some photog skills.
6. Sébastien Le Toux has quite the Starbucks mug collection (though he seems to be missing an important one).
7. Dillon Serna actually responds to his fan mail.
8. Axel Sjöberg somehow found his name on a can of Coke. In my search to find out if the Rapids did this for him or if he was just that lucky, I realized that you can get any name on a can/bottle of coke for 5 bucks! Also, please tell me that isn’t a full-sized can of Coke looking that tiny. I know Axel is a big guy, but that’s a little ridiculous.
9. Mekeil Williams like to ride roller coasters with (and make fun of) Marlon Hairston.
10. Tim Howard doesn’t just have a ton of tattoos, he gives them, too.