That was exactly how we predicted it.
But it is fun when you are wrong and the end result is a Rapids W.
Some thoughts on the 2-1 Rapids victory over Sporting Kansas City:
1) Grit and Toughness: The Rapids dressed 15 guys. Just 15. Goalkeeper John Berner said it best:
Wednesday night game at KC, plagued with injuries, guys out of position, only dressing 15...big time W fellas. Huge 3 pts @ColoradoRapids— John Berner (@JohnnyB_12_) April 14, 2016
This was a hell of a performance by the Rapids. They played short of players and had a normal midfielder start in defense. And they went to Kansas City and picked up a huge win. Very, very impressive
2) Start Dillon: I don't care where they play Dillon Serna, but the kid needs to start. He just has to play. Things happen when he is in the game. He may not have gotten the game winning assist against Sporting, but he might as well have. His shot hit the woodwork and that was followed up by Shkelzen Gashi.
Start Serna. Shit happens.— John Patrick Rosch (@patrickmac05) April 14, 2016
3) A Six Point Week: Don't look now but the Rapids have a great chance at a 6 point week. They play New York Red Bulls on Saturday and the Metros are struggling mightily this season. There is a very good chance that the Rapids could be 4-2-1 when this week ends.
4) Reinforcements Coming: Dillon Powers and Axel Sjoberg were injured for this one and they will be back for the Red Bulls match and Jermaine Jones will be available for selection. Hopefully this match is the last one where only 15 healthy bodies dress.
5) What does it all mean though: Honestly, it's hard to say. I believe (and have believed) that the Rapids have the potential to be a good team. That was never in doubt. It's always been about whether the Rapids could make the plays when they needed to and whether Pablo Mastroeni could be a good coach. Signs are positive in this regard as the team has done quite well so far. It is still early, and it would be foolish to get *too* excited. But at least, and for the first time in a long time, there is excitement in Commerce City.
The Rapids are back in action this Saturday at 7PM MDT at Dick's Sporting Goods Park against the Red Bulls and that match will be shown on Altitude.