As disappointed as I was that the Colorado Rapids did not win the Supporters’ Shield, I had to grab myself by the proverbial lapels for some perspective! This time last year, I was sitting in Section 115 with my boys and a couple of friends watching Didier Drogba polish off the Rapids’ 2015 season with a gorgeous free kick as only Drogba can. The protest plane was out, fans were wearing green (or at least not burgundy), and we were hoping for a comprehensive housecleaning of coaching staff and front office.
While the prevailing sentiment prior to this season was for the Rapids to take a flying leap, the sentiment for the end of this season must be gratitude. No, the season wasn’t perfect. Yes, frustrating times and seasons existed where they left points on the field. But consider (again) the team for which we as fans root!
- Qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League for 2017-18.
- Second in the Western Conference, thus avoiding the knockout round that’s coming (and sure to be entertaining). Along with this, bringing the Supporters’ Shield race down to the very last day was certainly a treat.
- Undefeated at home for 2016, making DSGP a legitimate fortress!
- A coach that is a frontrunner for Coach of the Year. Seriously.
- A cadre of talent that brings depth into 2017.
- Jermaine Jones returning to the pitch, as he did against Houston on Sunday.
- Have we gotten used to the fact that a pretty good goalkeeper, Tim Howard, is between the sticks?
I could go on, and you could, too! So, just a few words to say, “Thank you!” to the Rapids front office for helping make this season one to remember. You helped supply the pieces and, in turn, the atmosphere that made home games with my boys (and the whole family on the 4th of July) an absolute joy. You’ve given us more confidence that your vision and the trajectory set this year will pay dividends for the years to come.
What are some things you are thankful for regarding the 2016 Rapids? Sound off in the comments section!
Now, on to the playoffs!