The Colorado Rapids will play 19 other teams on their MLS schedule. No matter which team they play (Montreal, Orlando City, San Jose, etc.), a win gives three points, a tie brings one point, and a loss brings the proverbial goose egg.
OK, OK, you got me. Yes, I aimed at a reaction from my Burgundy comrades in arms. But add this to my historical research of all things Rapids.
Yet, not all teams are created equal in the heart of Rapids fans. Real Salt Lake holds a special vial of venom for the vociferous and vocal fans wearing the Burgundy and Blue. Not everyone agrees that RSL is our biggest rival. In a poll taken at this illustrious blog on April 27, 2015, of the 55 who responded to the question, "Who are the biggest rivals of the Rapids: RSL or FC Dallas?", 69% of you said RSL, with 29% going with FC Dallas (and one of you saying, "None of the above!").
What makes this rivalry so deadly venomous to Rapids fans? It's about to get real here, so hang on...
- Proximity? A scant eight hours away on the other side of the Rockies, does this make RSL more of a rival than, say, Sporting Kansas City, whose Blue Cauldron is a mere nine hours away? Does an hour really make that much of a difference?
- Silverware? What a great idea starting the Rocky Mountain Cup! Was RSL's 1-0 victory in the first game of the series (and the first game of their existence) the match that lit the flame? It sure makes it fun for a series within the season.
- They've won more? Oh, no he di-int! Yes, I di-id! RSL is up in the series 7-3. Would we care as much if we were up 7-3?
- How they run their organization? Are Rapid fans harboring jealousy that RSL maintains a consistency in winning and competing in the playoffs, and the Rapids, well, struggle?
- Dreadlocks? How much has Beckerman, a former Rapid (for those of you new to this ordeal) who went to RSL, played in the hatred?